Thursday, July 24, 2014

Cherry Cobbler


Okay, the picture seriously does not capture the essence of this fabulously easy summer dessert.  It doesn't really matter how neat you can get the crust on, what matters is the taste, which by the way is fantastic.

We take our fruit seriously in the summer.  When it comes to pie cherries, I go for the best at the market.  You can use another tart cherry if you can't find North Star.  You could even use sweet pie cherries like Heidi Swanson at 101 Cookbooks.  I prefer sour cherries in a cobbler and I'm not alone.

These tart cherries from Ayers Creek farm are another favorite.

Pie cherres have the shortest of all seasons for fruit.  Blink and you might miss it.  FYI: this could be the week for North Star cherries from Grouse Mountain.  They may seem costly but think of it this way, it's a once a year experience.  Enjoy while you can.  Give thanks to the bees for minding the pollination duties. 





Pitting pie cherries is messy.  They squirt sticky red juice all over. I've actually made pie cherry smoothies.   Pie cherries, pomegranate juice, banana, and almond butter. WOW!



This cobbler went fast.  Way too fast.


Everybody has a recipe for cherry cobbler.  Most add too much sugar.  You don't need so much sugar when you have the best cherries.   I love the ones from Grouse Mountain.  I'm also crazy about Ayer's Creek cherries, in Gaston, Oregon.  I could be a cherry snob.  I'd probably take out a loan to buy the cherries I love.

I love summer and so does my trusty Cooking Assistant.



Cherry-Blueberry Cobbler
(Serves 4)
I used a frozen pie crust for this cobbler.  Keep it on hand with seasonal fruit and you'll always have the ingredients needed for a cobbler. 

3 cups fresh pitted pie cherries
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup blueberries
Pie crust for one 9inch pie
1 tablespoon Earth Balance or butter
1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar

Preheat oven to 400F.  Combine cherries, sugar, arrowroot, lemon zest and lemon juice.  Place in the bottom of a smal casserole dish.  Layer blueberries on top, then lay crust over berries.  Spread with Earth Balance and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.  Cut slits in crust.

Bake for 10 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350F. and bake for 30 minutes or until top is browned and juices are clear.  Juice thickens as it cools.


Such laziness with the pie crust is not to be excused so lightly.  Who needs more work in the kitchen?   

I scandalously made pie crust cookies with the leftover dough.  

My Cooking Assistant is still thanking me for the cobbler and sorbet samples.

My Cooking Assistant's pie-in-the-sky dream is so close.

No comments: