Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Apricot-Cherry Tart


I've have another easy dessert recipe to post this week. I was going to share something more substantial, but I'm lazy in the heat of summer and I've been spending a lot of time in the garden.  I got these petunias early in the season and  but they are not bee magnets, but they're pretty and add color to the garden.  There are actually two little skulls on the bench, but the flowers have totally covered the other skull.

Everyone has got to have a few skulls in the garden, right?


Apricot-Cherry Tart sounds so fancy, and it is, but you don't need to tell anyone how easy it is to make.  

You can use peaches or nectarines and blueberries instead, if you want. And sure you can make your own pie crust, but why really? Unless you love to make pie crust.  I've used my grandmother's recipe.  I've used friends' recipes, and cheaper of course.  So if you're on a budget, get out the cookbook.

 Here's one by Alton Brown, but the lard . . . that's what my grandmother used but it just won't do in my kitchen.  Here is another one by Savvy Vegan.  But the lazy cook "cheats" frequently and it's easy to do with this  pie shell.


North Star cherries were available again this past week.


And the apricots.  I love R & R Farms.  These farmers only come to the market for a few weeks in the summer.  I can't miss their wild-crafted apricots. 



You can find flour locally too, if you want, but it's harder to find in the summer because more farmers have fruits and vegetables. It keeps frozen for about 6 months in the freezer. Get it at Nash's in the winter. The whole wheat pastry flour is my favorite.  The flavor is so sweet and it really adds to this dessert


The aroma of apricots is enticing. 



I think I better guard my supply.




Cut the Earth Balance or butter in until it resembles crumbles.  Finn is in tune with the zen of baking.




Apricot-Cherry Tart
(Serves 6)

Crust for a 9-inch pie
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup butter or Earth Balance
3 cups apricots, pits removed and sliced in thick slices
2 cups pitted pie cherries
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/2 to 3/4 cup cup sugar


Preheat oven to 350F.  Bake pie crust for 10 minutes, or until just done but not browned.

Combine oats, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a mixing bowl.   Blend well.  Cut in butter or Earth Balance until mixture resembles moist crumbles.  Set aside.

Combine apricots, cherries, lemon juice, zest and sugar in a mixing bowl.  Pour into the pie shell.  Sprinkle the crumble topping over the top.  Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until top is browned and filling is bubbling.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Ms. Daniels-Zeller,

Sorry, this is the only way I could find to get in touch with you!

My name is Ivy, I'm with the Washington Public Interest Research Group, (WashPIRG) and we are currently calling on the Obama administration to stop the overuse of antibiotics on factory farms.

To aid in this effort we are holding a press conference in Downtown Seattle on August 7th, and if you're interested we'd love to have you speak briefly about the risk of antibiotic overuse and how important it is to keep these drugs effective.

If you could give us a call back at 206-621-8334 that would be great.

Ivy Page-Salisbury
Staffer, WashPIRG