Monday, November 1, 2010

Chimichurri

When I was researching the recipes of Argentina, for an article I was writing for Vegetarian Journal, I spotted chimchurri (Argentine Parsley Sauce). I was immediately intrigued. People in Argentina put it on meat, but what sauce doesn't go over the ubiquitious asado in Argentina? The sauce is thick and green, and I was thinking of something light like quinoa and corn, so you can taste the garlic and parsley the essence of chimichurri.

I'm a sucker for parsley, but not the Italian flat leaf kind that so many people seem to gush over. Like a lettuce nerd who adores the iceberg variety, it's all about the crisp texture and mild flavor of curly parsley. JoanE from Rent's Due Ranch agrees with me. It's the Ozzie and Harriet parsley of my youth.

I remember parsly as a garnish on restaurant plates when I was a child. "It's just a decoration; it's not to eat," Mom said when I reached for it. I couldn't help eating it when I thought she wasn't looking, I loved the way it crunched between my teeth.

The season for parsley is nearly over. I didn't see any at the market this past weekend, but we had lots of it growing right outside our front door. In fact, I was all set to make parsley-rice when I spotted the chimichurri recipe.
I adapted this recipe from The South American Table by Maria Baez Kijac. The sauce isn't too spicy but it's got sufficient garlic for a kick, which puts it right up there in my book.

ARGENTINE PARSLEY SAUCE (CHIMICHURRI)

(Serves 6)

1/4 cup boiling water

1 cup finely chopped parsley

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 to 5 cloves garlic, pressed

2 teaspoons dried basil

1/2 teaspoon oregano

Generous pinch of cayenne

2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Pour the boiling water over the parsley. Stir, then add, cider vinegar, salt, garlic, basil, oregano, cayenne, and oil. Whisk until well blended. Refrigerate for one hour. Whisk again before serving.


While the chimichurri was refrigerated, I cooked some tepary beans I got from Rancho Gordo in San Francisco. I chopped, then sauted some peppers I'd gotten from Anthony Boutard of Ayers Creek Farm. Then I steamed some quinoa and corn.
My Cooking Assistant likes the looks of the quinoa and beans but parsley--it's one food he won't touch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

e=mails to you are bouncing back. Would you please contact me - Julie Garner (medwriter1@clearwire.net)about a possible presentation in Snohomish? Thanks.