Monday, May 31, 2010

Keeping it Simple and Easy with Eggs

Often the simplest foods taste best. And that's how it is with eggs, so don't add too many things when cooking eggs. Use the best eggs and savor the flavor.

Five years ago at the market, people lined up at Growing Things farm booth at the market for eggs. They sold out within half an hour. Now a number of farmers have eggs so there isn't such a pressure to get to the market early and the price has leaped from $4 to $8 (for duck eggs) from every farmer who sells eggs. The rising prices could be one reason many people are raising their own urban chickens.

In Edmonds, we can't raise chickens, and I don't want to raise chickens anyway, so I buy eggs--mostly from the market. (When I visit Nash's farm store or go to Bellingham's food co-op, I buy local eggs there for less than $5.)
First thing you notice about local eggs is they don't come in standard sizes. Some are giant and others tiny pullets. You can also buy duck eggs, and I hear they make great cakes, but duck eggs tend to sell out fast, hence the high price tag. I think chefs swoop in and buy many for their restaurants.

I'm not a fan of duck eggs and the kind of chicken eggs I like are the ones with the deep yellow yolks. My friend from France who grew up with vegetables from the garden and fresh eggs says the ones with bright yellow yolks are more vibrant and healthier. I love the color and River Farm has eggs with the deepest colored yolks at the market. When I asked Jerry (the farmer) why his eggs had the best color, he said maybe it was because part of their land is forested and the chickens forage there. Maybe the worms and grubs they eat there, help turn the yolks yellow.


My kitchen assistant appears to give his approval. I wouldn't leave the bowl with him for long.












Mom's old Joy of Cooking cookbook gives a recipe for scrambled eggs with sauteed onions, cream and a dash of paprika. I never use any of these additions because I love the subtle flavor of eggs. So, just scramble them up and serve (a sprinkle of salt is optional) with a side of whole grain toast and maybe a cup of coffee. (Hey Deborah Madison, this is what I eat when I eat alone!) If I had some salsa from Gathering Together Farm, I'd put a spoonful of that on top.

My assistant wishes he could have the whole meal deal but he'll settle for the crumbs.
I love eggs simply cooked. What's your favorite way to enjoy farm fresh eggs?






No comments: