Monday, December 22, 2014

Ethel's Sugar Cookies




Every year around the holidays I make these cookies.  But this year I feel so overloaded with sweets, I nearly skipped the tradition. 

But when my friends gave me these cookies and the biscotti and gingerbread were both made with Nash's flour, it got me thinking how much I love Nash's flour!  Nash Huber's farm is on the Peninsula, just beyond Sequim. You can buy Nash's flour at the University District Farmers Markert, Nash's Farm Store or PCC Natural Markets.


My thoughts returned to my holiday favorites--Ethel's Sugar Cookies. I found the recipe long ago. I was about ten years old when I found it in an old Betty Crocker holiday cookie pamphlet. 

My thoughts about ditching sugar disappeared as I got out the butter, flour and I used a flax seed egg replacer this time around. I'm hopelessly devoted to the sweet tones of life.

I forgot the sugar sprinkles, but I like these buttery cookies plain anyway.  


Ethel's Sugar Cookies
(Makes about 45 cookies)

3/4 cup Earth Balance buttery sticks (or butter)
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds blended until frothy in 6 tablespoons water (or 2 eggs beaten)
2 1/2 to 3 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Blend sugar and butter until creamy.  Whip in vanilla extract and flax seed egg replacer. 

Blend flour and baking powder in a separate bowl .  Combine wet and dry ingredients, adding more flour for a stiff dough.  

Refrigerate dough for 1 hour or longer.

Preheat oven to 400F.

Roll dough to 1/4 inch on a floured board.  Cut in shapes.  Decorate with sprinkles, if desired.  Bake for 6 to 8 minutes.

Even my Cooking Assistant thinks these cookies are addictive, and with Nash's flour they are even better!


1 comment:

Miz Helen said...

Thanks so much for sharing this awesome recipe with our special edition of Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are enjoying your holidays and look forward to seeing you soon!
Miz Helen