Monday, May 12, 2014

Baby Kale, Mushrooms and Crispy Shallots



I'm looking for anything easy these days that will change up the cooking rut I often find I'm in when spring arrives.  One of my friends often makes these crispy shallots to add to dishes, so that was my starting idea at the farmers' market this week.  I thought of adding them to purple potatoes, another favorite, these days.  Maybe I'd make a different type of Shepherd's Pie.

I got the shallots and the potatoes this time at Let Us Farm.


And of course the usual mushrooms from Sno Valley.  You can get mushrooms other than shiitaki, if you want, but I like these for their immune system supprt.


I was still thinking about the Shepherd's Pie when I saw this baby kale at Stoney Plains Farm.  Baby Tuscan kale.  All it takes is one vegetable to change my mind.



I didn't use all my shallots, mushrooms or kale--I'm thinking I'll make quinoa fritters with a kale and avocado salad--I think I'm slowly coming out of my seasonal rut.


My Cooking Assistant is never in a food rut.  His fondness for greens never ceases to amaze me.


Keep stirring and cooking the shallots on low until they brown and become slightly crispy.


My Cooking Assistant was quick to waken from his nap.  Basset hounds are slow pokes about food--it's their main motivation in life, and if he can steal a bite quickly, he will.




Baby Kale, Shiitaki Mushrooms and Crispy Shallots
(Serve 2)

6 shallots, finely diced
2 tablespoons canola or extra-virgin olive oil, divided
8 ounces shiitaki mushrooms, tough stems removed and sliced
1 bunch baby kale, roughtly chopped
2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
Pinch of sugar or Florida Crystals
Sea salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Fresh lemon juice, to taste (optional)

Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat.  Add shallots and 1 tablespoon oil.  Stir constantly and cook until shallots  are browned and slightly crispy.  Set shallots aside while you dry-fry shiitaki mushrroms until they are soft.

Stir and cook until mushrooms are soft.  Remove from heat and set mushrooms aside. Place skillet on heat, add remaining oil and kale stems.  Stir and cook until stems are soft.  Add leaves, stir and add vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.  Cover and steam for 5 minutes.  Remove cover, stir and serve.  You can add a little lemon juice if you want .

Add this kale dish to soup, grains, sandwiches, or serve as a side dish for dinner.

Kake, mushrooms and shallots, grilled zucchini, purple mashed potatoes with salsa 
Couldn't you spare one bite for a poor starving hound dog?

No comments: