Monday, June 17, 2013

Berry Apricot Salad


It's fruit season and the market gets crowed so I arrive early.  The only problem is so does the Parking Troll.   It didn't used to be like this with meter trolls fishing for freee parking violators, but the city needs money so why not target the farmers' market shoppers in those one hour spaces? 

I met my friends and we waited in my car, watching the Parking Troll mark tires until she pulled up next to us.  She gave us the stink eye as she marked the tires and then drove on.

I wonder how it feels to go home from a job like that?  Who is that person outside her job.  Is she only working for the "benefits," like many workers these days?  Maybe the city makes more money from handing out parking tickets than it does for metered parking.  And maybe, just maybe Seattle, like Chicago sold the rights to parking meters and writing tickets is another revenue stream for the city.


Whatever the reason, complaints to the city are pointless, this is the new economy.  The market manager said the mayor rides to 4 farmers markets on his bike.  But what about older people who have health issues?  Sure it's greener but not everyone owns or can ride a bike.

So, I was in a rush to buy my weekly produce and get out, but I got some fabulous strawberries and as I walked out, I found luscious apricots at Pipetone Farms.   I knew I'd pair them with fresh berries.

And we have berries in our garden at home, but I needed more because my Cooking Assistant has already helped himself to too many.   



He's up for apricots, too.  Poor boy--he's overwhelmed with the scents of the season. 

I tell him to wait and mostly he's good, but sometimes he can't help himself.
Blueberries aren't available locally yet, but I thought they'd add to this amazing fruit salad.



Berry-Apricot Fruit Salad
(Serves 4)

1 cup strawberries
1 ripe banana
1/4 cup pomegranate or orange juice 
1/2 cup citrus sorbet (tangerine, lemon, orange)
1 tablespoon almond butter
2 cups diced fresh apricots
2 cups mixed berries

2 tablespoons grated coconut, optional

Blend strawberries, banana, pomegranate juice, sorbet and almond butter in a blender.  

Place berries and apricots in serving bowls and pour the sauce over them. Gently blend.  Top with coconut, if desired. 



1 comment:

Miz Helen said...

Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great weekend and come back soon!
Miz Helen