Monday, December 3, 2012

A Simple Broccoli Salad


A guest post by Finn the Cooking Assistant (aka the dog picker)

What's on your salad plate today?  We've been having lots of broccoli lately.   Management has been stocking blanched broccoli as a regular snack item in the refrigerator, and since we're all vegetable lovers here, I do expect my share.

I got up from my morning nap, the second I sniffed the peeled orange.  I'm awake right away when good things are happening in the kitchen and I must say this is one of those unique salads that adds some zip to any winter menu line-up.   If I was allowed to eat it all, I certainly would have.  We must all do our best to eat more vegetables.

It has a simple orange dressing and if you live in California, you're a lucky dog because you can pick all the oranges you want up at a farmers' market.  If you live in Washington state, unless you have some kind of awesome greenhouse, you'll be buying oranges at the grocery store.



Our oranges go fast, seems everyone loves them.  I wake up from a deep sleep when I smell oranges being peeled and I'm there pronto to claim my share.  I'm not above whining, because I've learned the squeeky wheel gets greased and when you whine, Management knows you're serious.  A little shuffling from side to side helps too when begging.  I should give classes on the art of begging.


Management also keeps an assortment of apples and the cook selected a Pink Pearl apple.  Not only do they have great flavor, the aroma drives me mad with desire, and for humans the pink color is stunning.


As for avocados-what doesn't go with avocado?  We try it in everything around here, and let's just say I've been known to eat more than my share of avocado on occasion. 


  
Just seven ingredients plus salt and pepper for this little salad.  How much easier can making a salad get?  

Broccoli, Avocado and Apple Salad
(Serves 4 to 6)

4 cups broccoli, cut small, florets and stems (peel stem if it seems very tough)
1 pink pearl apple, cored and diced (not peeled)
1 avocado, peeled, pit removed, and diced
1/4 cup fresh orange juice (use 1 or 2 mandarin oranges)
1 clove garlic
1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon veganaise or garlic aioli spread
Salt and pepper to taste

Blanch broccoli for a few minutes in a large pot of boiling water.  Remove from heat, drain, and plunge (or rinse) broccoli in cold water to stop cooking. Broccoli should be fork-tender Drain. Combine broccoli with apple and avocado in a serving bowl.

Combine orange juice, garlic, olive oil and veganaise.  Gently blend into the broccoli-apple-avocado mixture.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.

I'm sorry Santa, once again I couldn't resist.  

No comments: