Tuesday, October 9, 2012

American Grown Goes Vegan--Chocolate Cherry Cookies



A Guest Post from Finn the Cooking Assistant (aka the dog picker)

I've been pawing through the recipes in this book by Michelle Obama.  I was hoping for something good before the book has to be returned to the library andwhen the Lady mentioned carrot cookies, she had my attention.    



These cookies contain my favorite ingredients--


I constantly encounter people who are shocked that I love vegetables.  (I love Kleenexes too, but the Management insists those aren't food.)  Of course I eat my carrots, who doesn't love these orange wonders?


What's up Doc?

Lately we've had 10 pound bags of organic carrots in the refriegerator.  I love carrots and I've learned to be pushy about them.  The squeeky wheel gets the grease in life. These carrots are now commonly referred to as "Finn's carrots."  I push my way forward and stare into the refrigerator.  Who would refuse a cute dog?

This carrot cookie recipe must be tweaked to make it truly dog-friendly.   First, take out the chocolate chips.  Then cut back on the sugar.  I think my next entry will be a further refining of this for canines.
  
I'm already imagining canine cookie swaps for the coming holiday season.

A dog can dream. . .     I hope you enjoy these cookies as much as I did. (My sister and I got a few made without chocolate chips.)




A note from the chef:
These cookies originally listed macadamia nuts, eggs and white chocolate.  The expense ruled out macadamia nuts.  I wanted to see if I could also eliminate eggs, so I a half a cup of mashed banana--about one of these little bananas.   And white chocolate contains milk and I wanted a dairy-free cookie.  Also, I switched the proportion of cherries to nuts because of the cost and I don't want to use all my dehydrated cherries just yet.  You could probably also take these to a nongluten level by substituting rice and tapioca flour.  Next week maybe we'll have a canine version.



Chocolate Cherry Carrot Cookies
(Makes about 24 cookies)

1 3/4 to 2 cups unbleached or whole wheat flour 
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup earth balance (or butter) 
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup mashed bananas (or 2 large eggs, beaten)
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup chocolate chips (or 2 ounces white chocolate, chopped)
1 cup grated carrots

1. Preheat oven to 350F.

2. Sift flour and baking powder.  In another large bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar and vanilla.

3. Stir in bananas.  Then add the flour mixture and mix until well-blended.  Stir in the carrots last.  The batter should be very stiff.  If it isn't add a little more flour.

4. Drop by teaspoonful on a parchment lined baking sheet leaving enough room in between cookies so they can spread as they bake.

5. Bake 12 to 14 minutes.  Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before removing from baking sheet.  Once they cool, store in a covered container.  

These cookies can be frozen, but I bet they won't last that long!




This is heaven!

Every dog should be so lucky!



3 comments:

Joan said...

Indeed every dog should be so lucky! Great post!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Debra,
The Babies just loved carrots, it was a real treat for them, I know that Finn really love them. I am going to make your cookies this week, I really love this Chocolate, Cherry and Carrot combination. Hope you have a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Debra Daniels-Zeller said...

Love that you're making the cookies Miz Helen, they were so good with eggs or bananas as a substitute for eggs! Thanks for stopping by! And a big thanks to Joan for checking out the cookies too!